Kacy’s securities experience includes the representation of national and regional brokerage and insurance firms and their representatives in arbitration and court proceedings brought by customers involving variable products, mutual funds, REITs, BDCs, TICs, equity securities, oil and gas partnerships, and other investment products. In addition to litigation, Kacy has represented many clients in investigations and enforcement actions by regulatory bodies such as the SEC, FINRA, CFP, and state securities and insurance regulators. She also represents broker-dealers in employment disputes with their registered representatives.
In the receivership space, Kacy has been lead counsel for receivers in both SEC and FTC cases as well as being appointed as a receiver in an SEC enforcement action.
Kacy is originally from Alabama where she clerked for District Court Judge Seybourn H. Lynne in Birmingham before starting her legal practice in Tampa. She has recently served as President of the Florida Securities Dealers Association and the Chair for the Business Law Section of the Florida Bar. She is a past president of the Tampa Bay Chapter of the Federal Bar Association who in 2010 awarded her its highest award, the George C. Carr award, for excellence in federal practice and service to the Federal Bar.
Admitted in both Florida and Alabama, Kacy is AV Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell and has been recognized as one of the Best Lawyers in America and a Super Lawyer.
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1994 (Securities Editor, Law Review)
- University of St. Andrews, Scotland (Attended on Rotary International Scholarship), 1989-1990
- Birmingham-Southern College, B.A., summa cum laude, 1989 (Phi Beta Kappa, Mortar Board, Omicron Delta Kappa)
- The Florida Bar
- Alabama State Bar
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle, Northern, and Southern Districts of Florida
- Federal Law Clerk, Judge Seybourn H. Lynne, N.D. Alabama (1994-1995)
- Fowler White Boggs Banker (1995-2009)
- Wiand Guerra King (2009-2021)
- Florida Securities Dealers Association President (2020); Vice-President (2019); Treasurer (2018); Secretary (2017); Board Member (2013-2021); Presidents’ Council (2021-present)
- The Business Law Section of The Florida Bar
Chair (2021-2022), Long Range Planning Committee (2022 – present); Member of the Year (2015); Chair-Elect (2020-2021); Treasurer (2019-2020); Secretary (2018-2019); Chair, Legislation Committee (2017-2018); Chair, Communications Committee (2014-2015); Chair, State/Federal Judicial Liaison Committee (2006-2007); Chair, Business Litigation Committee (2005-2006); Executive Council (2004-present)
- Federal Bar Association President, Tampa Bay Chapter (2006-2007); Executive Board (2000-2008); George C. Carr Award Recipient (2010)
- National Association of Equity Receivers Full Member (2021-present)
- Southeastern Women in Financial Services
- Leadership Tampa Class of 2004
- Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association Member, Compliance and Legal Division
- Florida Bar Special Committee on Chapter 517 (2005-2007)
- Florida Supreme Court: Committee on Standard Jury Instruction-Contract and Business Cases Member (2006-2008)
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- American Bar Association Securities Litigation Committee; Section of Litigation
- Birmingham-Southern College National Alumni Association Vice-President, Service and Outreach (2007-2009)